June is safety awareness month! As we age, it’s important to ensure that our homes and actions remain safe to avoid unintended consequences. We wanted to take this time to highlight small updates we can all take to help each other and the older adults in our lives stay safe all year round!
- Prepare a Hurricane Box – Hurricane season has started already in Louisiana! It’s critically important, especially for older adults to have hurricane supplies on hand and make sure they’re still in good working order on a regular basis. Before major weather events that could cause power outages or require a boil order, make sure your loved ones have three days worth of clean drinking water, easy to prepare food, and all of their needed medications.
- Check Your Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms – did you know that nearly 40% of deaths from a home fire occur in homes without smoke alarms? Also, keep in mind, older adults may have a hearing loss that requires additional alert systems. Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to ensure they are working properly, and that everyone in the household can hear them!
- Prevent Falls Before They Happen – Slips and falls are a leading cause of injury for older adults. Preventing falls before they happen requires ensuring all obstacles are cleared from pathways, secure railings where needed, and making sure all rugs or floor coverings are not a potential hazard. AmeraCare also offers Safe Steps, a program for mobility rehabilitation and fall prevention!
- Avoid Financial Scams – Older adults are more likely to fall victim to phishing scams via email, or telemarketing scams over the phone. According to research conducted by Stanford, people 65 years of age or older are more likely to have lost money to a financial scam than someone in their 40s. Ensure your loved ones are kept safe by keeping them up to date on what these scams look like, and utilizing email filters and caller ID.
- Help with Hand Hygiene – Older adults are especially susceptible to certain diseases, including COVID19. Make sure that your loved ones have access to face masks, plenty of soap and water, and hand sanitizer to help keep transmissions low.
These are easy steps we can all take to help ensure a high quality of life for the older adults in our lives! AmeraCare is dedicated to the health and wellness of their patients across southern Louisiana. Reach out today to see if in-home care may benefit your loved one!